We help disadvantaged children learn.
In the effort to close the economic inequality gap, we collaborate with teachers to provide kid-sized materials, classroom learning tools, and tutoring common in affluent homes and classrooms.
Since the gap is easier to close the younger the child, we focus on kindergarten and first-grade literacy/math and fifth-grade science. We collaborate with teachers to provide additional resources to help economically disadvantaged elementary-age students get caught up to their affluent peers – before they fall even further behind.
Our long-term vision is to consistently have:
- 90% (or higher) of students performing at grade level by the end of first grade and
- 80% (or higher) of fifth graders performing at grade level in science.
Meeting these two measurable outcomes will put these elementary children on the road to lifetime success.
Our day-to-day goals are to:
- Provide our teachers with the resources needed to make classroom time more effective
- Extend the classroom time by ending the home educational desert
- Have every child feel confident in his/her ability to learn
Know & Grow will, for many of these students, change their educational trajectories and last a lifetime!
We serve the Northwest Jacksonville public elementary school teachers. The kindergarten and first-grade teachers have to bring these children further along – or the children are left behind at the beginning of their education. Collaboration is the key to Know & Grow’s success.
Dinsmore Elementary is the perfect home for Know & Grow. All – yes, 100% – of the children receive a free lunch (Community Eligibility Provision). Additionally, Dinsmore is one of the most racially diverse public elementary schools in Duval County.
Our Core Values
- Reach students before their confidence gets trampled
- Remember many children are “on their own”
- Belief in desire to learn
- Devoted to provide teachers the tools they need